The question I get asked most frequently is, “How do I stir up the gift of God within me?” or “What can I do to operate in the gifts of the Spirit?”
2 Timothy 1:6 says, "Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands."
To stir up the gift of God within you, it is important to remember the source of the gift and the purpose for which it was given. Here are some references that can help us understand how to do this:
1. Remember the source of the gift: The gift of God is given by the Holy Spirit, and it is important to rely on Him for Hiss power and guidance. We cannot stir up the gift within us on our own strength.
- Acts 2:38 - "Then Peter said to them, 'Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.'"
- 1 Corinthians 12:4-7 - "There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all."
2. Identify and use your gift: We must identify the gift of God that is within us and then use it to serve others. Our gift may vary from person to person, but each is valuable in its own way.
- Romans 12:6-8 - "Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness."
- Ephesians 4:11-12 - "And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ."
3. Be faithful and diligent in using your gift: To stir up the gift of God within us, we must be faithful and diligent in using it. This means not hiding our gift or neglecting it, but seeking opportunities to serve others and advance the kingdom of God.
- 1 Peter 4:10-11 - "As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever."
- Colossians 3:23-24 - "And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ."
In summary, to stir up the gift of God within us, we must rely on the Holy Spirit for His power and guidance, identify and use our gift to serve others, and be faithful and diligent in using it. Through our faithful service, God will be glorified and His kingdom will be advanced.